Why Support the Tusky Valley Local School District levy
The TV Local Schools Emergency Operating Levy will appear as ISSUE 7 on the May 6 ballot. Early voting begins April 1 from 8:00 am-5:00 pm at the County Courthouse in downtown New Philadelphia.
Here's a few reasons my wife Rose & I are in favor of supporting the Tusky Valley Ohio Local School District levy:
1. A proven track record of educational success with the students! My son is an example of a kid that was struggling until the middle school staff interviewed Rose & I about Jeremiah's strengths and weaknesses. Upon our first parent -teacher conference Rose and I confided that we are both weak in math (I joke that's why I have a business manager). They promptly had a teacher volunteer(s) to help get Jeremiah up to par with his current grade level. This was done without additional cost to us and in such a manner that we weren't humiliated for our weakness with math and I might add without taxpayer resources since it was a volunteer effort. In my mind, the teachers and staff of the school system I've met so far, have a genuine love of helping our kids grow mentally... In any regard, Jeremiah completed his 9th grade on the honor roll throughout the entire school year! So far during his 10th grade, he has earned A's, B's and 1 C (not Math though) so he missed the honor roll during one grading period, but we are still proud of him.
2. “Excellent with Distinction”, I was pleasantly shocked to learn that this achievement was done at the sixth lowest cost per student throughout the entire state of Ohio! $2700 less per student than the state average. TVLS has been recognized by ODE as 1 of 7 districts in Ohio with total costs per pupil less than $8,000! This is an amazing fact demonstrating the efficiency of how a school should be run and why they found themselves in the top 14% of Ohio's schools!
3. Tusky Valley School District has already cut about $13,000,000 for an accumulated budget savings since 2005! 27 jobs have previously been lost since 2005! Seventeen (17) additional employees of Tuscarawas Valley Local Schools were notified this week that levy failure on May 6 would result in a Reduction in Force of their employment, effective at the conclusion of the school year.
4. The tax rate they wanted renewed was lower than the county average!
I spent more money on dinner last night to feed my family at Burger King than it'll cost to support the school system for a month!
5. The levy represents less than 10% of the entire budget!
6. Academic performance has consistently improved each year for the past consecutive 7 years.
7. The last time the district received additional operating money was February 1998!
8. WE WANT SAFE BUS TRANSPORTATION for the high school kids! I'm currently spending more on gas taking my son and a couple his school friends that have no options due to working parents, than the $26 dollars for a $100k appraised homeowner... and my home isn't even valued that high I'm left wondering how a single hard working mother manages to resolve the bus transportation issue and still maintain a job!
9. LESS CRIME in EDUCATED COMMUNITIES! There are enough studies that demonstrate research relevant to the link between education and crime.
"The nation could save as much as $18.5 billion in annual crime costs if the high school male graduation rate increased by only 5 percentage." - How education reform can fight crime - Washington Post at URL: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/07/30/how-education...
10. HIGHER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES for high school graduates!
The bottom line is communities like ours have many very valid reasons to support a school levy! It is an investment in our communities that gives a return economically, spiritually, and also defines our social values!
“Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” - Marian Wright Edelman
Additional levy information and resources include:
Tusky Valley School District Website: http://www.tvtrojans.org/
TV Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tusky-Valley-Trojans/115220648557889
TV Levy FAQ Sheet: http://www.tuskyvalley.k12.oh.us/May2014Levy/May2014FAQ.pdf
Let's support our Tusky Valley Schools for a better future of our children and the communities they reside!
(LEFT) Tusky Valley Local Schools Superintendent Mr. Mark Murphy discusses the impact of the failed Nov 2013 levy.
|(RIGHT) Superintendent Mr. Mark Murphy discusses the real need for the May 6th levy in his Webcam video from March 1, 2014|
Visit the Tusky Valley Levy Supporters Facebook Page at URL:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/250713701767688/ for the most current information and status of the May 6th 2014 ISSUE 7 Tusky Valley Local schools levy!
Best 'net regards,
Joe & Rose Rinehart
Residents on the Ohio-Erie canal, West of historic Fort Laurens outside the village of Bolivar, Lawrence township, Tuscarawas county, Ohio.
Bridges over the Ohio-Erie canal towpath trail and Tuscarawas river from the corner of my Bolivar, Ohio property.
The Ohio-Erie canal, Greenville treaty line, Western Union, Lake Erie & Wheeling Railroad, old trail & Internet intersection.